Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Welcome

Hello all,

Welcome to the world and mind of a New England runner! Please join me on this journey as I try to reach my ultimate goal to run a 50 mile Ultra Marathon. With a relatively new house and two small children…running sometimes takes a backseat and if had more time to train I could foresee myself running the Mountain Masochist 50 mile trail run in November (a beautiful ultra marathon taking place along the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia). Well it may not be this year or the next but one of these day’s I’m going to fill-out the MMTR registration form but until then I’ll just have to find my fill. I’ve been contemplating trying the Jay Challenge. The Jay Challenge consists of racing for three consecutive days in three different events kayaking, mountain biking and running. I’m not that crazy (yet) I was considering running the Jay Mountain Half-Marathon. The full Marathon is a 30.5 mile trail run over Jay Peak in Vermont. If I attempted this it would definitely be the half 18.5 miles and if all goes well I could come back next year and try the full. But this is in two months….so I have to make a decision soon! In the meantime there are a few great trail races coming-up the Blue Hills Skyline run and the Mount Greylock Half-Marathon. In September I’m hoping to take part in a running relay adventure race, The Eastern Mountain Sports Reach the Beach Relay. The RTB relay was created in 1999 to bring a high quality, multi-day, relay-style race to New England. The RTB will take place in picturesque New Hampshire during the start of the New England foliage season. It is a 200 mile race broken down into 12 legs starting from Bretton Woods Mountain Resort and ending in Hampton Beach State Park. The relay will consist of (a maximum of ) 12 person teams that will rotate through 36 transition areas as they cover the approximate 200 mile distance of the race. This means that each relay team member will run 3 legs of varying lengths and difficulty and will cover an average total distance of 16.6 miles. Unfortunately my efforts to gather a team didn’t work out (maybe next year) fortunately I found a team in need some runners and am very excited to partake in this adventure as a member of there team.

That’s all folks…..keep on running =)