Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Rollin Along






















This year I sort of transitioned back to road running for the convenience of simply running out the front door and covering various distances around town. I needed some excitement and after I read this inspiring article Zen Trail Running I ventured out to Blue Hills Reservation for a fun miniature mountain run, rock hopping the Skyline Trail was a considerable change of pace from the roads and a good workout for the upcoming fall races. I enjoyed the challenge of scrambling the technical parts, I let go of myself bombing down the steep descents and powering up the steep climbs I forgot how much I love mountain running, being above treeline on the short ridge sections of the Skyline Trail left me longing for the real thing up in the White Mountains but the shaking legs and pounding quads told a different story. Can't get much better than this just around the bend from Boston.

Headin north on Sunday for the Pisgah Mountain 50K. This was my 1st 50K back in ’06 and once again I’m looking forward to toeing the line at this classic low-key New England Ultra with an abundance of single track trails and rolling hills plus I'm looking forward to that tasty burger at the finish line.

Good EATS
I could live off Burritos – you have to hand it to the Mexicans for creating a convenient way to eat a complete meal on the go. My kids won’t touch them so when I’m busy preparing dinner for the kids and I need something healthy and fast that will quench my hunger I go for the BMY

Burrito’s My Way –

8'in8 Prep time: 8 min. Cook time: 8 min.
Ingredients:
1 cup canned Refried Beans
- I like to use Amy's Organic Refried Black Beans
1 cup of your favorite salsa
1 cup cooked long grain riceI like to use Birds Eye’s Steamfresh Rice microwaves in only 3 minutes
1-2 cups (8 oz.) shredded Mexican cheese
12 flour tortillas (6 to 7 inches)

Super quick directions -
In a microwavable bowl, combine the beans, salsa, rice and 1 cup cheese, mix well. Toss the bowl in the microwave on high for 5 minutes. Now you’ve got yourself a good filling. Spoon onto center of tortilla add sour cream, jalapeƱos, or anything else from the kitchen, for a quick veggie burrito I add in the Birds Eye’s Steamfresh peas or broccoli. Fold the sides and ends over, roll up and enjoy. Goes great with a cold Pacifico Clara.

If you have some extra time to spear you can arrange burritos in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover and bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 1 dozen.
The extra ones make a quick meal for lunch the next day!

"as a flower blown out by the wind
goes to rest and cannot be defined
so the wise man freed from individuality
goes to rest and cannot be defined.
gone beyond all images-
gone beyond the power of words"


From: Sutra Nipata