Sunday, December 13, 2009

Hog Jowled



9 warming tricks for cold-weather cragging

Quick venture to Hammond Pond this afternoon to climb Vittles Wall a 30ft wall with strenuous climbing through moderate overhangs and a few sizable holds. To add to the usual fun of climbing rocks we had the weather to contend with cold, overcast and wet with dripping icicles. Eventually the rain spoiled our fun. I was disappointed to leave and not top out "got all Hog Jowled up" happy to report my brother Craig eventually pushed through. As Eric Horst notes in his books "The pain of climbing a continuously strenuous route is akin to that of running a mile at full speed-it freaking hurts!" You can bet I'll be back in spring Hog Jowls.



Cold, cold water bring me 'round
Now my feet won't touch the ground
Cold, cold water what you say?