Monday, January 25, 2010

Going with the flow


Lao-Tzu
Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them - that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.

ZEN STORY #4
Going with the Flow
"A Taoist story tells of an old man who accidentally fell into the river rapids leading to a high and dangerous waterfall. Onlookers feared for his life. Miraculously, he came out alive and unharmed downstream at the bottom of the falls. People asked him how he managed to survive. "I accommodated myself to the water, not the water to me. Without thinking, I allowed myself to be shaped by it. Plunging into the swirl, I came out with the swirl. This is how I survived."

Clear mind clear parenting
Outdoor activities help clear my mind and in turn give me energy, patience and creative ways to be a better parent. As a parent of three going with flow is best practice “it’s no use crying over spilled milk” and right now my kids are going through a milk spilling phase but I continue to bite my tongue “every path has a puddle”
"Two's company, but three's a crowd" and kids fight for attention it’s natural in a large family soon to be four. I try to reinforce positive attention with positive feedback but many times negative attention takes the cake. So I’ve flipped the scenario if they’re fighting for attention and one of the bunch does something negative hit, yell, call names, I’ll take away time I’ve set aside during the day to spend individually with them. I accommodated myself to the kids, not the kids to me. I allowed myself to be shaped by them. So far this seems to be working and the one-on-one time I spend with each child really makes a big difference in the flow of things.

Early Sunday morning I made an early morning trip to Auburn Ice Canyon. This is an interesting little pit of ice falls with some arm pumping climbs. Took a couple quick snapshots.


Experience
Experience is a riverbed,
Its source hidden, forever flowing:
Its entrance, the root of the world,
The Way moves within it:
Draw upon it; it will not run dry.


Winning ultras and raising kids interview with Ty Draney

GREAT KIDS,
GREAT OUTDOORS


Imagine Childhood