Saturday, February 06, 2010

365-6 Good Morning

Pimp my Camera
As I dream of buying a new professional Digital SLR camera I needed to find some way to push my Canon point and shoot to the max. To my surprise my search ended quickly and cheaply when I came across CHDK – Unleash the POWER of your Canon Powershot!

More options under the hood -
• Professional control - RAW files, bracketing, full manual control over exposure, Zebra-Mode, Live histogram, Grids, etc.
• Motion detection - Trigger exposure in response to motion, fast enough to catch lightning.
• USB remote - Simple DIY remote allows you to control your camera remotely.
• Scripting - Control CHDK and camera features using ubasic and Lua scripts. Enables time lapse, motion detection, advanced bracketing, and much more.

I’ve already started playing around with RAW digital photos using ReaConverter Pro. Here are three comparisons –

Melon Head x3
LG DARE 3.2 megapixels Still Image Resolutions 640 x 480


0206000829.jpg
Originally uploaded by runpuffin































Canon Powershot A710IS JPEG




Canon Powershot A710IS Turbo RAW converted JPEG



Results:
• Camera phone
o Good/fast/simple- captured the granite countertop and tile backdrop in accurate color/light but the fruit lacks detail and color.
• Basic Digital camera JPEG
o Better/easy/convenient- lacks accurate background color but brings the fruit out in a vibrant color and detail.
• Basic Digital camera RAW converter
o Best/long processing time - accurate background color and excellent color/detail of fruit.