Wednesday, April 07, 2010

mindfullness

It is your mind that creates this world DHAMMAPADA


Mindfulness touching the blue sky



Living in the present moment
As Thich Nhat Hanh says, "Mindfulness is the energy of being aware and awake to the present moment. It is the continuous practice of touching life deeply in every moment of daily life. To be mindful is to be truly alive, present and at one with those around you and with what you are doing. We bring our body and mind into harmony while we wash the dishes, drive the car or take our morning shower." He has also said that our appointment with life is now, in the present moment. By not being present we will miss our appointment with life.


"Taking care of the present moment, you recognize the presence of the sunset, the morning star, the magnolia blossoms, and the person in front of you. When you practice this way, you will not be lost in your worries or anxieties about the future, or caught by the suffering of the past."


"I have arrived, I am home."
Thich Nhat Hanh has has described this phrase as the seal of Plum Village, the practice community where he lives. The complete stanza is:


I have arrived, I am home,
In the here and in the now.
I am solid, I am free,
In the ultimate I dwell.