Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sunrise Sea Kayak – Boston Harbor Islands


Boston Harbor Islands was recently added to our country's National Park System . At 5:05AM I pushed off from South Boston’s Carson Beach to explore the Boston Islands Wilderness the first of my summer paddle training session’s to build up my recreational kayaking skills/strength for an open water crossing later this summer. I’m excited to plan a sea adventure that takes place from the shores of my hometown Dartmouth and crosses Buzzards Bay to Cuttyhunk part of the Elizabeth Island chain - D2C2D. If things go well then I’d like to plan a fall central crossing of Lake Champlain, Burlington, VT to Port Kent, NY.

"To my mind, voyaging through wilderness, be they full of woods or waves, is essential to the growth and maturity of the human spirit. It is in the wilderness that you really learn who you are. It is in facing the challenges of the wilderness that the thickness of your wallet becomes irrelevant and your capabilities become the truer measure of your value." Steven Callahan ADRIFT