Wednesday, April 04, 2012

SUP'er Season



Last season while training for the Black Burn Challenge (a 20+ mile open water circumnavigation of Cape Ann) I was diagnosed with sciatica. As an ultra runner I’ve competed in 50-100 mile races and never experienced anything as physically debilitating as sciatica. My PT quickly pointed out my lack of flexibility and how sitting all day in the office and training in an outrigger/sea kayak was the major cause of aggravation. My mind quickly raced to the next thought “if I don’t sit I can paddle” and it wasn’t long before I planted my two feet on a paddleboard.

The reading -
Best archives of SUP How To advice by waterman PonoBill

RACE READY PART 2: GEAR AND PREP

The board -


The schedule -

2012 Goals

4/29 Run of the Charles 9-mile river race
6/16 June 16-17th Boston Tea Paddle 8 mile distance race through Boston Harbor
7/14 The Blackburn Challenge 20+ mile open water circumnavigation of Cape Ann.
8/25 Cape Cod Bay Challenge 34-mile SUP marathon (tentative)

2013 Goals

Training paddle 50+ miles along the Maine Island Trail
July 2013 Molokai-2-Oahu Paddleboard World Championships