Tuesday, May 23, 2006

The zen of running

I enjoy running not only for the great aerobic benefits but also for the mental benefits. Through awareness of surroundings, breathing and physical exertion running is my form of meditation. I don’t achieve a meditative state on every run, but occasionally when I suppress my inner thoughts and concentrate on the present moment I reach this state……just today I was running along the Charles River in Boston on a single dirt track, after reaching the BU bridge I made my way back to the city…..my breathing became controlled, I was aware of myself, nature, the wind, my mind was clear. Running on a dirt trail requires an awareness of the rocks, roots, and trees essentially drawing your mind into a trance! This trance clears your mind of all thoughts, similar to meditation. Blaze away!!

The secret of health for both mind and body
is not to mourn for the past, worry about
the future, or anticipate troubles, but to
live in the present moment
wisely and earnestly


Buddha