Wednesday, August 30, 2006

A little Buddha in our lives


Buddha is my spiritual guide! I don’t practice Buddhism, I find truth in many of there teachings, I am a firm believer that there is no one religion! By studying other religions I have applied many of the core principles to my own life. Such is the case with Buddhism. In April of 2005 I was extremely ill, after dragging myself to the doctor’s office I collapsed on the waiting room floor; from there I spent a week in the hospital three of the days in ICU….I guess my organs were shutting down, not good! It was a scene straight from the show House MD, six doctors standing around scratching there heads. This went on for three days…they had no idea what was wrong with me. It’s a strange feeling when six of the top doctors in Boston can’t make a diagnosis. Finally after a gazillion test they realized I had Addison’s disease. Addison’s disease can go undiagnosed for months/years; it’s a very slow process until your body shuts down and you have an Adrenal crisis, this was the situation in my case. After this experience, I realized I was not invincible; life is to short to sit and watch it go by….my new goal was to enjoy everyday! In Buddha terms I was awakened. Buddha literally means "awakened" or "that which has become aware". Shortly after I started running again…I ran three miles the first day and from then on haven’t looked back. I’ve become aware of my surroundings; running has guided me towards enlightenment (or nirvana). Like Gautama Buddha, Gandhi or Dalai Lama, I will by no means permanently overcome anger, greed and ignorance I’m only human, you could call it a partial enlightenment. Anyway that's a little behind the scenes to Running Buddha!


Enjoy the day!


To enjoy good health, to bring true happiness to one's family, to bring peace to all, one must first discipline and control one's own mind. If a man can control his mind he can find the way to Enlightenment, and all wisdom and virtue will naturally come to him.

Buddha