Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Moonlight Run

It’s 9 o’clock on a cool and breezy summer night. I stand on my steps transfixed on the full moon overhead, what a perfect night to run. After about a mile from my house I reach the Arnold Arboretum (The Arnold Arboretum is one of the gems in Boston's Emerald Necklace that embodies areas and parks from the Public Garden to Franklin Park, it's a fun place to run and has a number of hills overlooking Boston.) leaving the road and sanctuary of street lights behind I enter the unknown. I follow a path carved through tall grass as the moonlight bounces eerie shadows from the surrounding trees. My mind plays tricks with the darkness and like a spooked horse I open my stride to a full gallop. 45 minutes have gone by when I approached the last hill and the moon is perched at the top, illuminating the path up. What a spectacular sight, outstretched on the skyline is the bright lit city of Boston. It's just the moon and me, I think!! Everything that goes up must come down and I descend back into the commotion of life, leaving this dreamscape for next time!