Monday, September 11, 2006

Mental Plateau

Hangover, cold, and my aching ankle.
Saturday was a long day! For starters I had a few drinks in Boston on Saturday night and I think I may still have a hangover or the workings of a cold. Prior to this I was doing my usual afternoon run and I rolled my ankle on some rocks, the good thing is I was able to walk it off and run home on it. So as you can see I’m a little beat-up and it’s even harder to gulp because the Pisgah 50k trail race is this Sunday. I'm really not worried about running the 31 miles or finishing but more on outside factors, like this ankle and if this cold decides to stick around. It’s a waiting game for now. In the meantime I’ll start concentrating on my nutrition and hopefully catching-up on some sleep. Tomorrow I’ll hit the trails for a couple easy nerve settling miles and work out the kinks. I get the impression this is going to be a long week!

Let's move onto another subject shall we =)

If I had $1,950 sitting around I would immediately go to active.com and register for The Coastal Challenge. This 6 Day Stage Event Expedition Run will take competitors on an unforgettable journey through the dramatic and volcanic areas in Northwestern Costa Rica. The course will start next to Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal and will finish on Pacific coast very near to the border of Nicaraugua. Runners will get to pass through Monteverde National Park and as well as along beautiful inland lakes, windswept highlands, jungle and tropical dry forest. (Brief description provided Active.com) Adam Chase of Running Times did a wonderful article on this event last year and I’ve been enthralled ever since. You couldn’t plan a better running vacation; you literally eat, sleep and run. As I recall I was like a kid in the candy store when I visited the Coastal Challenge website…I think I was drooling! My first impulse was to bust out the platinum card but I managed to bring myself back down to reality because unfortunately I don’t have the cash or the time for such endeavors but its fun to dream!!

Pura vida!