Thursday, December 07, 2006

Running Spunk

The Coast to Coast marathon is on December 16th. Funny I get the collie-wobbles every time I think about it, maybe because after all the trail running I’ll be completely out of my element. Over the past few weeks I haven’t been running as much as I should, in perspective this has proven to be the hardest and challenging two weeks all year. Ouch! Running on the road hurts. Yesterday I had to drag myself out the door; I just haven’t wanted to run, especially on the roads. Deep down I know when C2C comes I’ll be racing the clock and the clock and I haven’t been friends in some time! After this race I’m going to kick-it down a notch and maintain a nice flatline base for a while. This sporadic ramping and de-ramping of mileage has sure taken its toll “don’t worry body rest is on the horizon”.

With all the craziness of the Western States lottery this year and the fact that the ULTRA List has been bogged down with people complaining about the process, (on a side note I think the ULTRA List needs some serious work, replies are posted multiple times and all the really good information on race events are lost in the mumble jumble of others ramblings. There just has to be a better way. I've been spending about twenty minutes every night deleting these emails, I just don't have the time to sort thru this mess so I’m unsubscribing tonight) Western States is on the verge of becoming the Boston Marathon of ultra running, if it hasn’t already but soon it will mimic Boston in more ways than one. The qualifications will be nearly impossible or only to the elite, race registration prices will go up, you’ll get the bandits jumping in, it will be televised live and companies will pay big bucks for ads, and then where are we? It’s becoming the end all event for ultra runners so with this in mind and since my chances of getting in next year are slim I’ve started to plan a new and exiting adventure challenge: This one’s a guarantee.

The Tahoe Rim Challenge – Who wants to become a 165 mile club member with me?

Here’s the ultra-twist with a lime - run the entire 165 mile Tahoe Rim Trail in one/two or three days, okay to enjoy myself and the beautiful surroundings it will probably be three days, that’s a tuff 55 mile day jaunt! Forget Western States who wants to join me in this fun challenge (any bloggers)? I’m seriously looking into this around June 2008 coincidently around the same time as WS = )

Have a good one out there & dream BIG