Tuesday, June 03, 2008

EAT, SLEEP, RUN

I read a great article about 24 hour ultra events HERE and last week I signed up for the 24 Hour Around the Lake Ultra in July , which happens to be just a few towns North of Boston in a town called Wakefield. The event is hosted on a 3.16 mile loop course around Quannapowitt Lake, I know running 3.16 miles around a lake is not much for scenery, doesn’t have a single mountain and doesn’t compare to the Vermont countryside but seems to fit in with my busy schedule especially since the event starts Friday night at 7PM and ends Saturday night plus the kids and family/friends can cheer me on and run a loop with me. This should be a fun challenge if I don’t get dizzy or fall asleep and the pavement doesn’t wreak my legs. I was browsing over the past results and was surprised to see Akos Konya won in 05’ he banged out 129.5 miles. Now is a good time to get in some solid training and posting my runs in BLOG WORLD format will give me that extra incentive I need to reach my goal for the week.

A century kind of week

June 2-8, 2008

Monday
Ran –
8 miles in the morning
5 miles during the day
6 miles in the evening

Total miles for week = 19

Tuesday
Ran –
6 miles during the day
6 miles in the evening

Total miles for week = 31

Wednesday
Ran –
6 miles during the day
6 miles in the evening - I enjoyed running in the rain today, it was very refreshing compared to the past couple humid days plus it was a good distraction from my sore and tired legs. The long runs this weekend are going to be a challenge. Got to catch some zzzZZZ's getting up early in the morning for a 9-10 mile run GONE RUNNING!

Total miles for week = 43

Thursday
Ran –
8 miles in the morning
6 miles in the evening

Total miles for week = 57

Running on pavement is so unforgiving, that I’m actually looking forward to those long trail runs this weekend, I need to trade in my Brooks Burn for something with more cushion. You know it’s been a productive week when you’ve gone though most your running gear and it’s all sitting in a huge pile

Friday
Ran –
8 miles in the morning
5 miles during the day

Total miles for week = 70

Trying to recover tonight for the 17-20 mile trail run in the morning a few Long Trails always help!

Saturday
Ran –
22 miles in the morning 7A.M. - 10A.M. Tired legs but I felt great and was surprised at the pace I was able to maintain
3 hot humid miles in the evening

Total miles for week = 95

Sunday
Ran –
Rest
5 more hot & humid miles in the evening - I decided to wait for sunset with the heat wave going on. Ran this last leg fairly fast considering the miles under foot and felt good, legs are sore so all in all a great training week.
Total miles for week = 100