Thursday, April 30, 2009

Just Bouldering Around



















The National Speleological Society, has a great motto ''Take Nothing but Pictures, Leave Nothing but Footprints, Kill Nothing but Time"


I tell ya I've been bitten by the rock climbing bug which may just have to do with the recent fun & joy I've been having in my basement bouldering cave. With all the practice I took a little venture over to Hammond Pond a local climbing area with lot’s of great boulders and top rope routes, I stuck to the Alcove a long wall of slightly overhung puddingstone and a number of interesting boulder problems. I was surprised to find the place empty for one of the top climbing locations near Boston. Of course I had no crash pad and no spotter plus I was bouldering in my Vibram FiveFingers which have little support/protection, a couple foot buster landings were painful enough to having me thinking about investing in a good crash pad or try top roping. Like ultra running bouldering is another one of those sports where it's a lot easier not to explain the how’s & whys of, in fact I think I’m just going to start telling people I went golfing people just seem to understand golf, I mean yeah spending a whole day walking around hitting a little white ball into a tiny cup makes so much more sense.


The weekend
If things go as planned which rarely happens I may try to get myself down to Providence for the Cox Providence Marathon on Sunday, looks like they have a new course this year that goes out to Barrington, RI. Watching Boston sort of got me in the road marathon mood. We’ll see what happens…..